IF YOU NEED HELP NOW, CALL US AT: (470) 225-7710


Getting Your Driver’s License Back After The Administrative License Case

If you refused the state-administered blood, breath, or urine test or if you submitted to the state-administered blood or breath test and it produced results greater than the applicable legal limit (.08 for drivers over 21 in non-commercial vehicles, .02 for drivers under 21 in non-commercial vehicles, and .04 for drivers in commercial vehicles), you will likely face an administrative license suspension case. These hearings are triggered by the filing of a 10-day letter following the officer’s issuance of a DDS Form 1205 or 1205-S following a Georgia DUI arrest in.

The vast majority of administrative license suspension (ALS) cases is resolved by virtue of a rescission because the arresting officer did not appear at the ALS case or because a lawyer enters into an agreement with the arresting officer for the withdrawal of the administrative license suspension. If either of these events occur, the administrative license suspension case is rescinded or dismissed and, while your DUI case will still go forward, you are entitled to the re-issuance of your driver’s license.

  • Obtain a copy of the ALS dismissal/rescission before you go to the DDS to have your driver’s license re-issued. You can get a copy of the ALS decision in your case by clicking here.
  • Locate the DDS Customer Service Center nearest to you.
  • The cost for re-issuance of your driver’s license is $5.00.
  • It’s strange, but you will frequently run into different requirements for the re-issuance of your driver’s license following the dismissal of the administrative license suspension case. Out of an abundance of caution, it’s a good idea to carry with you the documents required to obtain another driver’s license after losing it:


  • One ORIGINAL OR CERTIFIED DOCUMENT from Category A in the name as it appears on your license.NO COPIES OR FAXES.


  • Two documents from Category B in the name as it appears on your driver’s license.All documents must be in English. 

Category A – One document is required from this category.

  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card that has been expired for less than 10 years.
  • Certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the customer’s state of birth (hospital certificates are not acceptable)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS 545)
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (form I-551)
  • Valid, unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766 or Form I-688B
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with a valid unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

Category B – Two documents are required from this category.

  • Original or certified copy of Marriage License. Please note:  On June 26, 2015, the United States Supreme Court ruled that all States recognize same-sex marriage.  Same-sex marriage is recognized in the State of Georgia.
  • Original Social Security Card
  • Previous Year Income Tax Return
  • Current Auto, Home, Life or Health Insurance Policy (Cards Not Accepted)
  • Current Automobile Registration Receipt
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Valid or expired Military Identification Card  and/or Military Orders

Blog Post Provided By:

The Sessions Law Firm, LLC

1447 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 530
Atlanta, Georgia 30305

Phone: (470) 225-7710



About the Author

Ben Sessions, Attorney at Sessions Law Group
Ben Sessions

I work to provide exceptional service, attention, and results to each of my clients. Most of clients come to me because they are in a completely overwhelming situation. They need someone that will do more than address their legal problems.


Hiring a lawyer is about more than getting a great result in your case. We understand that for many of our clients, the event that led them to call us causes them tremendous stress and anxiety. We will help you understand the process and how we can help. When you hire The Sessions Law Firm for your case, you will have a lawyer that is willing to take the time to help you and committed to delivering the best results possible.