UBER ACCIDENT INSURANCE COVERAGE
UBER ACCIDENT INSURANCE COVERAGE: UBER ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
Since 2012, the ride sharing industry has grown from nothing to more than a $1 Billion a year. Uber and its business plan has become a shinning light for new start ups around the country. There is no end in sight for the success of Uber and its competitors like Lyft. To date Uber and Lyft have more than 8.5 million users spanning more than 400 cities in 60 countries. These two giants have an estimated combine worth of more than $52 Billion, and they are showing no signs of slowing down. They are averaging more than 1 million rides a day, and with that many rides crashes are inevitable. Being injured as a result of an incident involving an Uber of Lyft driver makes recovering damages a tedious and difficult task.
Lawsuits that result from an Uber of Lyft vehicle present important, but difficult issues for insurance coverage and the future of coverage as these companies continue to expand.
Currently, Uber and Lyft require their drivers to have auto insurance, and if you are injured during the course of your interaction with these ride sharing companies the at-fault driver will be held liable. However, there are two tricky issues associated with this situation.
First, determining which driver is at fault. In order to determine fault in a car accident in Georgia, you must apply proportional comparative fault. Proportional comparative fault is also know as modified comparative negligence 50% bar rule, and it is used to calculate how much each party will be compensated for injuries following a car accident. For instance, if you are involved in an accident where it is determined that you were 30% at fault for the accident and the other driver was 70% at fault, you will be compensated 70%. This rule can be very confusing, which is why you should enlist the help of an experienced attorney from The Sessions Law Firm.
DOES UBER PROVIDE INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR MY INJURIES FOLLOWING AN UBER ACCIDENT?
The second issues is if the uber or lift driver is found to be at fault but does not have a non-commercial insurance policy, their own personal policy may not necessarily give you coverage. Many insurance policies state that if an accident occurs while driving for pay the policy may not cover any damages. Uber or Lyft could attempt to deny the drivers claim leaving the driver without any coverage. Once again, if you find yourself in this difficult situation, you will need the help of an attorney to seek the compensation you deserve.
Uber does provide a $1 million insurance policy to cover driver liability. However, there are instance where a driver might not officially be “on the clock” (have a customer in the car) when an accident occurs, if this is the case Uber has shown in the past that they will deny responsibility for the drivers actions, leaving their personal insurance policies responsible for paying the damage.
WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AN UBER ACCIDENT WHILE BEING DRIVEN BY AN UBER DRIVER?
Regardless, if you are an Uber/Lyft driver or passenger, if you have been involved in an accident, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced attorney. The issues in a case of this nature are very complex and with out the right person representing you, you may not be able to obtain the monetary compensation you need.
We are here to serve you and your family.If you have been injured in an accident involving Lyft or Uber do not hesitate, contact The Sessions Law Firm today for a FREE CONSULTATION with one of our experience personal injury lawyers.